27 Bible Verses for Living Simply and Abundantly
If I’m honest, I didn’t think about my spiritual life when I started pursuing minimalism. My faith is important to me and is a part of everyday life for me. But, still sometimes I compartmentalize my life: here is my family, here is my writing, here is my health, here is my faith, etc.
As it turns out, my faith is probably the area most impacted by simplicity.
Minimalism reached down into my soul and lifted my eyes upward.
Because it immediately reminded me that my spirituality is my entire life, everything else functions around that. It was impossible to intentionally take my focus off what I owned and not turn my eyes to Jesus.
What else is there to look when the material things are gone?
Over time my goal with this blog shifted to speak to the soul of minimalism, not only the mechanics. I noticed that my simple life was much more than a life with less, but what was happening internally; spiritually. I’m interested in the soul that emerges from simple living and how it creates space to live our truth.
Here are 27 Bible verses to encourage, inspire, lead, and support the simple life. May they comfort your soul as you seek a slow, purposeful life.
- He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me. Psalm 18:19
- Better a little with the fear of the Lord than great wealth with turmoil. Proverbs 15:16
- Better a little with righteousness than much gain with injustice. Proverbs 16:8
- For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly. Psalms 84:11
- Come all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare. Isaiah 55:1-2
- Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Matthew 6:25-27
- All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Acts 2:44
- I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:11-13
- So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. Colossians 2:6
- Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody. 1 Thessalonians 4:11
But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 1 Timothy 6:6-8
- Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, never will I leave you, never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5
- Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint. Proverbs 23:4
- Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God. Psalm 20:7
- Be still and know that I am God Psalm 46:10
- Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the Lord your God which He has given you. Deuteronomy 16:17
- But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. Matthew 6:3-4
- The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever. 1 John 2:17
- Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7
- As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lords’ feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!
“Martha, Martha “ the Lord answered, “ you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her. Luke 10:38-41
- As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life. 1 Timothy 6:17-19
- In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” Acts 20:35
One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want. Proverbs 11:24
- We hear that some among you are idle. They are not busy; they are busybodies. Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the bread they eat. And as for you brothers, never tire of doing what is right. 2 Thessalonians 3:11-13
- I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior. 1 Timothy 2:1-3
- You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. John 15:16
- And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19
When we recognize the soul in our simplicity we discover abundant freedom.
Dear Souls – don’t be afraid to go soul deep with your minimalism. That’s where it gets real good!