25 Thanksgiving Scriptures for Every Day of The Year
“Is Thanksgiving before Christmas so we remember to be thankful for all the things before we open presents?” my almost six year old asked.
Me, driving out of the gas station parking lot, lost in thought, “Um. Yes?”
“Yes?” she asked me confused, noting my answer in question form. Blindsided by her philosophical softball, I once again sat in wonder at the depth of my kindergartner’s soul.
Giving thanks before receiving, or as Ann Voskamp put it, “Eucharisteo – thanksgiving – always preceeds the miracle.” Yes, thanksgiving before we receive is always the answer!
Being grateful ushers our hearts into a season of proclaiming the arrival of Emmanuel. It’s gratitude that prepares us for the gift. Thanksgiving precedes the miraculous birth of the Savior.
I finally found the words to answer my daughter, “That’s exactly right. We celebrate in thanksgiving before we receive the gift.”
This Thanksgiving, I challenge you to be thankful for what you have and for what you don’t have yet. Risk your gratitude on the goodness of God. He’s faithful to provide.
To encourage your season of gratitude, here are 25 Scriptures on giving thanks. And don’t limit these to November – they are just as powerful every day of the year!
*I created an awesome gratitude resource for you called Daily Gratitude: Peace, Presence, Purpose. Grab your free worksheet at the bottom of this post!
25 Thanksgiving Scriptures for Every Day of The Year
- Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. -1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NLT)
- Give thanks to the God of heaven, for His lovingkindness (graciousness, mercy, compassion) endures forever. Psalm 136:26 (AMP)
- Don’t be anxious about anything; rather, bring up all of your requests to God in your prayers and petitions, along with giving thanks. Then the peace of God that exceeds all understanding will keep your hearts and minds safe in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7 (CEB)
- Then Jesus took the loaves, gave thanks to God, and distributed them to the people. Afterward he did the same with the fish. And they all ate as much as they wanted. John 6:11 (NLT)
- The Lord is my strength and my shield. My heart trusts him. I was helped, my heart rejoiced, and I thank him with my song. Psalm 28:7 (CEB)
- “We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, who is and who was, for you have taken your great power and begun to reign. Revelation 11:17 (ESV)
- And here we are, O God, our God, giving thanks to you, praising your splendid Name. 1 Chronicles 29:13 (MSG)
I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart; I will recount all of your wonderful deeds. Psalm 9:1 (ESV)
- Be rooted and built up in him, be established in faith, and overflow with thanksgiving just as you were taught. Col. 2:7 (CEB)
- You will be abundantly enriched in every way as you give generously on every occasion, for when we take your gifts to those in need, it causes many to give thanks to God. 2 Corinthians 9:11 (Passion Translation)
- Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our “God is a consuming fire.” Heb. 12:28-29 (NIV)
- This is God’s work. We rub our eyes—we can hardly believe it! This is the very day God acted— let’s celebrate and be festive! Salvation now, God. Salvation now! Oh yes, God—a free and full life! Psalm 118:24 (MSG)
- Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father. Col. 3:16
- But giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors me. If you keep to my path, I will reveal to you the salvation of God.” Psalm 50:23 (NLT)
- So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. John 11:41 (NIV)
Give thanks to the Lord because he is good, because his faithful love lasts forever. Psalm 118:1
- So we no longer offer up a steady stream of blood sacrifices, but through Jesus, we will offer up to God a steady stream of praise sacrifices—these are “the lambs” we offer from our lips that celebrate his name! Hebrews 13:15 (Passion Translation)
- Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind.. Psalm 107:8 (NIV)
- The Lord will comfort Israel again
and have pity on her ruins.
Her desert will blossom like Eden,
her barren wilderness like the garden of the Lord.
Joy and gladness will be found there.
Songs of thanksgiving will fill the air. Isaiah 51:3 (NLT)
- From them will come songs of thanksgiving
and the sound of rejoicing.
I will add to their numbers,
and they will not be decreased;
I will bring them honor,
and they will not be disdained. Jeremiah 30:19 (NIV)
- But when Daniel learned that the law had been signed, he went home and knelt down as usual in his upstairs room, with its windows open toward Jerusalem. He prayed three times a day, just as he had always done, giving thanks to his God. Daniel 6:10 (NLT)
- And he took a cup of wine and gave thanks to God for it. He gave it to them, and they all drank from it. Mark 14:23 (NLT)
- Coming up to them at that very moment, she [Anna, the prophetess] gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem. Luke 2:38 (NIV)
- But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed. Rom 6:17 (ESV)
But now in a single victorious stroke of Life, all three—sin, guilt, death—are gone, the gift of our Master, Jesus Christ. Thank God! 1 Corinthians 15:57 (MSG)
Grab a free daily gratitude practice worksheet!
Daily Gratitude: Peace, Presence, Purpose - enter your email and it's yours!